I was chatting with a friend and high school mate just yesterday and queried to know how he his doing and the following
Me: Guy, how far? Where are you? What you doing now?
My Friend: Baba am doing good o. Looking for inner peace!
Me: Wow! Great pursuit!
My Friend: Yes o my brov…
INNER PEACE? It struck me like a wild jargon. In the last 24 hours I have read about 6 blog posts, 3 e-books and a YouTube teaching on finding inner peace. There are some of us that feel disillusioned at times. We can’t just explain why, we don’t have words to express what we are going through. On the other hand i would like so say ‘a perfect life doesn’t connote a peaceful life’. What the society calls perfect may not be consistent with your person. Discover yourself and find the perfect locus of your person and pursuit.
…here are practical antidotes to finding inner harmony as I have gathered from relevant materials and my comments.
1. Don’t compromise yourself in order to be liked. You’ll be liked by others (perhaps) and loathed by yourself. Don’t work at being popular, work at being you. It’s a lot easier and requires a lot less energy and acting. Don’t live a fake life!
2. Identify your core values – the things that are most important to you – and live a life in alignment with those values. That way you are being your authentic self rather than trying to satisfy somebody else’s needs, expectations, values, demands and rules. When your decisions and behaviours are a reflection of your core life values, you will be living a life of synergy, harmony and contentment, the “need” to be liked will be a non-issue.
3. Simplicity – Making thing simpler has certainly brought a lot of inner peace to my life. So, a few of my favorite suggestions on how to simplify your life:
– Use a limited to-do list. Only 2 or 3 of the most important things.
-Set limits. Set limits for daily checking of inboxes. I do it only oncea day. Set time limits for small decisions and make them within seconds after you have thought about them to avoid
procrastination and overthinking. Set time limits for tasks such as 15 minutes each day for answering emails or for using Twitter. Set a limit for commitments and say no to be able to feel less stress and produce better results.
-Remember to “keep things extremely simple”. I have written down that sentence on my white board and it is a daily and constant reminder that helps me when I lose my way.
4. Acceptance – “Acceptance of others, their looks, their behaviors, their beliefs, bring you an inner peace and tranquility” anonymous – instead of anger and resentment.” When you accept what is you stop feeding energy into resisting what is. You don’t make a problem more powerful and sticky in your mind. Instead, somewhat counter intuitively, when you accept what is it loses much of its power. It just is. And you feel stillness inside. Now, accepting what is doesn’t mean to give up. It just means that you put yourself in a better position take action if necessary. Because now you can see more clearly, you can focus your energy towards what you want and take the appropriate action to change your situation.
5. Forgive – By accepting what is it is much easier to let go of things and to forgive what has happened. Forgiveness is important because as long as you don’t forgive someone you are linked to that person. Your thoughts will return to the person who wronged you and what s/he did over and over again. The emotional link between the two of you is so strong and inflicts much suffering in you, when you forgive you do not only release the other person. You set yourself free too from all of that agony. One thing to keep in mind is to not just forgive others but also yourself. By forgiving yourself – instead of resenting yourself for something you did a week or 10 years ago – you make the habit of forgiveness more and more of a natural part of you. And so forgiving others becomes easier too.
6. Do what you love – When you do what you enjoy there is a natural peace that arises within. You are in alignment with your outer world. This also leads to a lot more success than if you have a lot of inner turmoil and really don’t care that much for your work. One of my favorite tips for finding things you enjoy or love doing is simply to explore life. To be curious and try things out and see what you think of them. This can bring many insights both about yourself and about how things really are when you do them rather than when they are just theories floating around in your head.
7. Celebrate your faith – Determine to be an adherent follower of your faith’s injunctions. Man is as much a spirit being. Your ultimate inner peace stems from harmony in your inner man – your spirit. Be a diligent professor of your faith: Learn and grow in it and daily you’ll come closer to perfection. Celebrating your faith saves you from a whole lot of confusion about issues of life and you can really on greater forces to come to your rescue when life’s tsunami range, they sure do.